Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close author¬†Jonathan Safran Foer¬†has also¬†written Eating Animals,¬†an eye-opening memoir about his investigation of factory farming. After growing up on his grandmother’s chicken with carrots, teenage Foer begins to realize that eating meat hurts animals. He goes back and forth on his vegetarian diet, swearing off meat then making excuses to have it again, until he marries his like-minded wife and becomes a father. That is when his research on the horrors of the meat industry begins.
- What do you think of the author’s initial¬†indecision about becoming vegetarian? Have you ever¬†had some of the same thoughts?
- Which fact about the meat industry was news to you?
- What were some of the most important events that led to Foer’s investigation?
- Give up meat for an entire week. Could you do it? What were some of the excuses you made to “cheat” on your temporary diet?
- Summarize the meat industry facts and tell them to a friend. Which surprised your friend the most, if any?
DoGooder Twitter Updates
Share the DoGooder with your Friends