Many children must deal with alcoholic¬†parents, but alcoholism is a difficult subject to discuss with them. Start the conversation through Wishes and Worries: Coping with a Parent Who Drinks Too Much Alcohol by the¬†Centre For Addiction And Mental Health. The story itself introduces readers to Maggie, whose¬†alcoholic father ruins her birthday party. Written by professionals, this colorfully illustrated¬†book covers many aspects of children in this situation, such as the strong negative emotions they might feel and worries about their own future.
- Have you ever felt the way Maggie does? Which of her thoughts have you had yourself?
- When were you most upset for Maggie?
- What would you have done if you were at Maggie’s birthday party?
- Write down what you would say to Maggie at school after her birthday party. How would you cheer her up?
- Have your¬†parents ever¬†acted strangely¬†because they were drinking at a family gathering? Tell them how their behavior made you feel.
DoGooder Twitter Updates
Share the DoGooder with your Friends