The Teacher from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler is a classic picture book that will ease the fears of a child worried about starting school. Based on rumors, the book’s main character begins worrying his teachers¬†will be¬†monsters who assign homework on the first day.¬† After he finally meets his real teacher, the boy realizes she isn’t the nightmare he imagined. Children will not only sympathize, they’ll enjoy the equally funny text and colorful illustrations.
- Why do you think the boy is so worried about his new teacher?
- Which was your favorite picture in the book? Why?
- Have you ever heard rumors about a teacher, then found out she wasn’t like that at all? Why do you think¬† people said that about her?
- Draw your own “teacher monster.”¬† What are you afraid of most when you get a new teacher?
- Who was the best teacher you’ve ever had? Write down why this person was your favorite.
DoGooder Twitter Updates
Share the DoGooder with your Friends